On this blog

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Jesse James - To All Good Dogs

Today I said hail and farewell to my dog, Jesse James, who lived to the grand old age (for a large Lab) of nearly fifteen years.  It was hard to say goodbye.

Jesse James  August 9, 2001 - March 5, 2016

What purpose did they serve, all the good dogs that once ran through the world and wait now in the shadowy quiet of the past? 

They lightened our burdens and drove away our enemies and stayed when others left us. They gave aid and comfort, protection and security. They held a mirror wherein we might see ourselves as we long to be. They gave us a glimpse of the world beyond the narrow confines of our own species. 

Although we make dull students, slowly they help us learn how to command and to protect with wisdom and justice and imagination. 

They taught and still teach us the joy of giving generosity and kindness and love - without the thought of gainful return. 

And now - all the fleet hounds, the staunch mastiffs, the loyal shepherds, the dancing toys, the fumbling puppies, pets on silken pillows, workers plodding at their tasks, the special ones you loved best, those of ours we still miss. 

To all the good dogs, goodbye
Until on some brighter day, in some fair place, 
You run out to greet us again

    George and Helen Papashvily 



9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Diana. What a beautiful tribute, and so very true. It leaves an empty spot in our lives when we lose a dog we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I can't help thinking that there will be a grand reunion one of these days, and based on my pets I'll be knocked over, sniffed, licked, purred at, and given a tennis ball to throw!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Diana,
    I am so sorry to read about Jesse James, your sweet loyal boy. You will miss him, you will grieve for him; but you are also strong enough to celebrate his time with you; for it was a special time in both your lives.
    Warm hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Inge - I know memories will certainly make me chuckle. I do find myself saving treats for him, then remembering that he isn't there. (My cats are very happy to step in for yummies...)

      Delete
  3. Hi Diana .. I'm so sorry to read of your loss - I've been away and only just got back. I'm sure it was terribly hard to say goodbye, and you will miss him particularly now .. and for many a year to come. They attach themselves to our hearts .. and are part of our lives - always there for us ...

    With thoughts Diana ... he will be sadly missed by you and your family ... all the very best in the coming days and weeks - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilary. He was certainly an original, and I definitely miss him. I do believe in reunions, and I suspect a grand gathering of all my friends, relations, pets and loved ones is waiting.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry that he's gone. It always hurts when this happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, M.R. R. You never do get used to it.

      Delete
  5. That was beautifully written, a lovely tribute to your Jesse James. They become such a part of our family and you're right that we could learn a lot about love from them.

    ReplyDelete