On this blog

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Ah, lunch...



Henry David Thoreau said:

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

A friend of mine said:


...Yes, and some of us lead lives of noisy desperation!




Well, I don't know if 'desperation' has that much to do with it, exactly, but I thought I'd share an account of yesterday's lunch.  I don't know if 'desperation'  fits quite as well as 'a fit of the giggles'.  You be the judge.

I had a rather interesting lunch.
Went to (high end local) market and bought:

a. about 2 hard boiled eggs (imprecise because they were sliced) and some olives.  Never have I seen eggs with such small yolks.  Made Egg and Olive salad with that.  It was *okay*.



b. Tried their ‘fresh’ sushi.  California roll.  It was *okay* but might have been better with *ripe* cukes in the mix (did you know unripe cukes are chewy?  Or… Hm.  Maybe I ended up eating rubber made to look like cucumbers.  From the Sushi demo models, perhaps.)  and more than a quarter teaspoon of wasabi.  Sturdiest rice I’ve ever seen, too, and they won’t go bankrupt with the amount of sesame seeds they use.  It is supposedly made fresh today.  My guess was that it was assembled in western France at 12:01 AM their time and then flown over here.

c. ½ cup cottage cheese.   If there is ever a concern about the ocean losing its salinity, the nations of the world can find out who made this stuff and dump several shiploads in the water.

d. I am currently eating some ‘original salted’ potato chips.  I salted them.  I may have to stop eating them because they are so crunchy, it sounds like a string of explosions when I chew.  They have just been consigned to the Circular File.

e. I have a container of strawberry banana Greek yogurt waiting for me.  I have high hopes…







(As you can see, I did survive...)

7 comments:

  1. HA! Better check the expiration date on that yogurt! I mean, it sounds like you're on a roll here...

    (Have you tried any of the snacks that are in the new eco-friendly bags? It is IMPOSSIBLE to move one of those bags around without making enough noise to wake a zonked out teenager.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my. I have something to look forward to. Wait! I am visiting family this weekend! I will get me some and eat it in the living room at 3AM. The house has an 'open plan' and sound does travel... (I'll have to perfect my trick of tearing back to my bedroom, diving under the covers and feigning sleep... "Wha...? What's going on. What time is it?" (Frowning at clock) "THREE AM???" (wailing). "Gawd!" Collapsing back against the pillows and hoping I have hidden the snack bag appropriately...

      Delete
  2. I think you would have had better luck going to Safeway. Not that I'm so into grocery store sushi, but it's never been that bad! Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you hate it when you're charged high prices for something that's not really all that great? How did the yogurt turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diana ... sounds a challenging mix ... and eating crunchy crisps under the covers definitely doesn't sound a good idea .. but for all that have a happy visit!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot, Diana!
    I am reading this while eating my habitual morning yogurt (Pasha always demands a dollop, too). Maybe I should wait for his reaction before attacking mine. So far, so good...Hope you have a nice Labor Day visit...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Diana, I'm nominating your for two awards in tomorrow's (9/2) post. Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete